Wednesday, October 21, 2009

There's no place like home


When I woke up in ICU, I was surrounded by family and friends. Everyone was asking me "do you remember me?" or "do you know who I am?" I felt a little like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz. Fortunately, I recognized everyone although I was a little confused about where I was. For some reason, I thought I was at Ben Taub hospital. The next couple weeks were like fitting pieces of a puzzle together. Well, I got to see the Wizard (otherwise known as Dr. Qazilbash) and he sent me home last week. It feels great to be back in my house with the girls. We still have to be very careful. There's lots of hand washing and I usually have to wear a mask when they're in the room.

But on my journey down the yellow brick road, I found that I received a lot more than Dorothy did. Like the Tin Man, my love for my family and friends has grown even more. I cannot tell you how much love I have felt in the past month. My worry is that I have not reciprocated enough to others. Like the Lion, I have had to muster up the courage to try to get back to my normal life. Learning to walk again was a little scary at first but I am cruising with my walker now. The first time your legs buckle can be a scary thing but you buck up and go forward with determination. Like the Scarecrow, I have to learn that this is not going to happen overnight. I also have to learn to let people help me. Doug has been amazing through this whole ordeal and I am blessed to have such a wonderful husband. In my book, he deserves Dad/Husband of the Year.

But most of all, I am like Dorothy. Glad to be home. I love hearing those familiar voices at 3:30 when school is out. I love sleeping in my own bed. I love the fact that I do not have to order hospital food three times a day. I'm starting to feel like short visits but scheduling them is a little tricky since I'm spending a lot of time in rehab at MDA. Let me know if you have some free time and we can compare schedules. Unfortunately, it took more than three clicks of my heals to get me home. It was a long time coming with lots of delays, but I finally made it here. So people, say it with me, "there's no place like home"

8 comments:

  1. Hi Tracye,

    I am SO glad that you are doing well. I have been praying for you and we thought about and prayed for you at the St. Anne's Anniversary celebration. I love your fighting spirit. You are such an inspiration. I would love to visit you or help (meals, groceries, errands, anything). please let me know how I can help you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome home...there's no place like home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is NO place like home and I'm so glad that you are finally at home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully written! Welcome home Tracye. I would love to visit when you are ready. Can't wait to see your sparkly red shoes! Hugs to the girls and super dad/husband Doug.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy you are able to (finally) be home. There's not much better than sleep in your own bed. Just keep up that wonderful positive attitude and determination that you possess and I have no doubt that you'll be running after the girls again in no time at all. Love ya bunches!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful post, and what a beautiful woman, inside out. Thank you so much for this update, as I've been thinking about you more and more, and didn't want to bother you with a call. I'll be in touch soon about a visit. I still want to meet your puppy! :) Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Visited your FB page today, and opened your blog. How I still miss you, my friend. Thank you for your joyful spirit, which still touches our hearts today. Happy Easter to you and all the angels who hold you close. I am praying for your family. Love you to Heaven and back...MaryJane

    ReplyDelete